This is what we’re being exposed to:
Biderman’s Chart of Coercion is a tool developed to explain the methods used to break the will or brainwash a prisoner of war. Domestic violence experts believe that batterers use these same techniques. It is a tool developed by Amnesty International in 1973 to explain the actions of dictators and despots around the world, who were coercing and torturing their citizens and prisoners of war. This technique is currently being played out on Americans and citizens around the world. Every person involved in supporting these actions ARE committing crimes against humanity…. Does this sound familiar?
1) Isolation: Deprives victim of all social support (for the) ability to resist. Allows victim to be present at all times to keep home environment stable and non-threatening. Makes victim dependent upon abuser.
2) Control or Distortion of Perceptions: Fixes attention upon immediate predicament; fosters introspection. Eliminates information that is not in agreement with the abuser’s message. Punishes actions or responses that demonstrate independence or resistance. Abuser manipulates by being charming, seductive, etc. to get what is wanted from victim and becomes hostile when demands are not met.
3) Humiliation or Degradation: Wakens mental and physical ability to resist. Heightens feelings of incompetence Induces mental and physical exhaustion.
4) Threats: Creates anxiety and despair. Outlines abuser’s expectations and consequences for noncompliance.
5) Demonstrating Omnipotence or Superiority or Power: Demonstrates to victim that resistance is futile.
6) Enforcing Trivial Demands: Demands are often trivial, contradictory and non-achievable. Reinforces who has power and control.
7) Exhaustion: The abuser uses sleep deprivation to keep victim in a state of confusion. Wakens mental and physical ability to resist Heightens feelings of incompetence Induces mental and physical exhaustion.
8) Occasional Indulgences: Provides positive motivation for conforming to abuser’s demands. Victim works to “earn” these indulgences in an effort to increase self-esteem.